According to study recently released by the National Coalition for Safer Roads Memorial Day weekend is the most dangerous holiday for road and highway accidents.
In fact, the National Safety Council (NSC) found that over the last decade, the Memorial Day holiday weekend has averaged an 11.5 percent increase in traffic fatalities compared to similar non-holiday periods.
Memorial Day Weekend Driving Safety Tips:
- Allow extra travel time. “Better late than never”. It is more important to arrive at your destination safely, than to arrive at your desired time. Don’t push traffic lights and speed to make it to your destination early.
- Get out of your vehicle and stretch. Moving your legs and walking every couple of hours will help you stay alert on the roads.
- Understand the times of highest risk. The greatest risk is on Friday afternoon, as people are getting off work and are ready to enjoy the weekend. Bring a snack as you will likely be hungry and that can also contribute to stress levels.
- Avoid distracted driving; especially using your cell phone. If you need to communicate with friends or family have a passenger send the message or pull over.
- Make sure everyone in the vehicle is using safety belts and children are in appropriate child seats or booster seats.
- Do not drive impaired by drugs or alcohol. Assign a designated driver or arrange to sleep at your location if you become intoxicated.
- Keep a four second space between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you on the freeway.
- Follow speed limits and traffic signals.
- Keep your tires properly inflated. Make sure your tires are ready to endure the marathon. A hot traveling surface can take its toll.
If you or a loved one is dealing with an car accident, truck accident or injury, For over 20 years, Chicagoans have turned to the experienced and aggressive car accident lawyers at The Romaker Law Firm to get them through the difficult challenges that follow a serious car accident – huge medical bills, lost wages, and the pain and struggles of recovering from an injury that has changed their life.
In Spanish and English alike, our Chicago car accident attorneys bring the same commitment to ensuring that each client gets the same personal attention, care, and respect. Every case is important. Every client matters. Every dollar we put in your pocket can help make things better.
You will pay nothing up front and no attorney fees at all unless we recover damages for you!
The Romaker Law Firm wishes you a Happy Memorial Day Weekend and urges you to drive safely!