What To Do If Your Employer Is Violating Health and Safety Laws

If you see hazards, risks, threats or an accident waiting to happen because your workplace is not up to safety and health codes, there are steps you must take to correct this dilemma. First, write in detail what the hazard or health violation is, including location and time. Make sure you keep a copy of this document for yourself and then give one to your supervisor.  If you have a co-worker that agrees with your concerns bring him/her along when you contact your supervisor so they can testify about potentially hazardous working conditions and back you up. Following this, if your employer still refuses to improve the health and safety concerns you have noted reach out to your local OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) office to discuss your health and safety concerns and ask any questions you may have about your situation. If OSHA confirms your concern is a valid one and your employer still does not address the health and safety violation, you may choose to file a complaint with OSHA.

How to File a Complaint with OSHA

If your employer does not make any effort to improve working conditions  you can file a complaint  by downloading the OSHA online complaint form at www.osha.gov under the “Workers” page or by calling your local OSHA office to request one.

Fill out the form and mail or fax it to the OSHA office. Be sure to include your name, address, and telephone number so that you can be contacted.

It is illegal for you to be harassed or fired for filing an OSHA complaint. To stay anonymous you may request that your name not be revealed to your employer.  In the wake of an accident or injury it may be hard to process and complete all necessary steps required for receiving compensation and returning to good health. Let Chicago Injury Legal at The Romaker Law Firm take the weight off your shoulders and assure you that you will receive maximum compensation and a determined, accomplished and reliable lawyer.  Contact us today for a free consultation (312) 377-7000.